Vacations offer the perfect opportunity to let go of the responsibilities of chaotic college life and let loose. Everyone has a unique way of chilling out and relaxing, be it outdoor activities, music, playing videogames or starting a new television series. Here is a compilation of the things that we recommend trying out.
Did you just finish a great series and have that feeling that you might not be able to find anything as enjoyable to watch. Or maybe you don’t know where to start after your end sem exams. Perhaps you feel that the wait is too long between those Rick and Morty adventures. Chances are you have already watched the mainstream popular shows like GoT, Breaking Bad, and Sherlock. Or one of the Sitcoms like Friends, The Office, Brooklyn 99, etc. So here is a list of some of the shows that might have flown under your radar and are worth the watch.
- Mr.Robot- The creator Sam Esmail said that the series is inspired by breaking bad. The show follows the dynamic power duo of Mr.Robot (Christian Slater) and Eliott(Rami Malek) as they use their hacking skills to fight the top 0.01% of the wealthiest people that are controlling the world. The starting episodes of a season may seem a bit slow at times, but that is a buildup that pays off with unimaginable climaxes at the end of each season.
- The Boys- Bored of Superheroes being represented as ideals of truth, justice, and honor. This series answers the question of what happens when superheroes go rogue and start misusing their powers.
- The End of the F***ing World- A dark comedy about a teenage psychopath who believes it is time to make his first kill and his target a girl who doesn’t fit into school. They go on a road trip that leads to a series of increasingly dangerous events.
- Dark- A german thriller that is a must-watch for people interested in supernatural and horror genres. It deals with concepts and themes similar to stranger things.
- Living With Yourself- The series features a man who has to go face to face with his clone who is trying to replace him and is also a better version of him. It is not the concept alone but also Paul Rudd and his humourous acting in a dual role that makes it work.
- Silicon Valley- This series is the complete personification of the tech industry. A must watch series for anyone planning on entering the tech industry or thinking of creating a startup. The story is the journey of a small startup into a company the size of Google. It explores both the good and the bad of its namesake.
- LOVE, DEATH + ROBOTS - An animated anthology, each episode is between 3-20 minutes long and has a different art style. Each chapter tells a short story that explores a unique and creative concept.
- Undone- Alma goes into a coma, the result of a car accident. She learns to control time with the help of her late father, while the rest of her family thinks she is going crazy. The use of animation rather than live-action makes it a trippy experience that needs to be enjoyed.
- Sharp Objects- The story of a mentally ill reporter that is trying to uncover a murder while her inner demons haunt her. The music, the atmosphere, and the plot will keep you hooked until the very end.
Some Shows to Watch Out For
Here’s a list of new and upcoming TV series that you should definitely keep on your watch list and expected to be a hit when they release.
- His Dark Materials- Based on Philip Pullman’s books of the same name. It is set in an alternate universe where human souls manifest into the form of creatures known as daemons. His dark Materials is HBO’s entree into the fantasy genre in a post Game of Thrones era.
- The Mandalorian- Set in a galaxy far far away, the series follows a warrior of the Mandalorian race on his adventures in a post-empire world. This show is also the culprit behind all those baby Yoda memes
- The Witcher- Based on the books that inspired the bestselling game series of the same name. The witcher debuts December 20 with Henry Cavill set to play the titular character. The witcher must hunt monsters and at the same time, save the world from a prophecy proclaiming the destruction of the world.
- Marvel Disney Plus series- Unlike previous Marvel television and Netflix series, The Disney plus series are a part of Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and will directly tie into the Movies. The series that are currently in production include The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Loki, Hawkeye, and Marvel’s What if? Other series in development include she-Hulk, Ms.Marvel, and MoonKnight.
- Upcoming GoT spinoffs- Currently, two spinoffs are in production. The first one under the working title, BloodMoon, is set way back in Westeros History set to cover the descent into “the long night.” The Second series, House of Targaryen, would cover the history of the Targaryen bloodline from Aegon the Conquerer up to Robert’s Rebellion when the mad king was slain.
Holidays are a great time to delve into gaming. It is the time when you are free from the worries of college life and the perfect setup to immerse yourself in a twenty-plus hours campaign in a virtual world. These are some recently released games that you can play to kill that boredom.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order- This RPG game is a bonus for any Star Wars fan as it is the first game to be canon with the movies. Set after the events of the Prequel Trilogy, it follows a young surviving Jedi Padawan on his hunt for a list that contains the names of force-sensitive children. He must reach the record before the empire or all will be lost and in vain.
Apex Legends/Fortnite/PUBG/CSGO- Don’t like to play alone? Then these are the games for you. Hop onto your PC, team up and fight to the death in these Massive Multiplayer Games. Each of these games offers a unique feature allowing you to choose which game fits you the most. The best feature of all is the fact that the games, as mentioned earlier, are free to play.
NFS Heat- Whenever racing games come to mind, the first game that comes to mind is the Need for Speed Series. For a series whose last few instalments did not spark much appraise, the latest game improves upon the mistake of its predecessors to deliver the best racing experience possible.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice- Sekiro is a game made by the same studio that brought you Dark Souls. It is a heartless game that requires patience and accuracy to complete. Set in Feudal Japan, the story follows a loyal shinobi(mercenary)’s revenge story. It pits you against monsters who only keep getting stronger as the story progresses.
Red Dead Redemption 2- The latest game by Rockstar, the studio that brought you the GTA series. Follow the adventures of a member of a local gang in the wild West. The game has shootouts, train heists, and anything else you expected from a wild west game.
While mainstream games are fun to play, they sometimes overshadow the games created by other smaller game studios. Here are some Indie gems you must play for their grand story-driven narrative.
Celeste- Designed as a platformer, this game is sure to bring out memories of the golden age of gaming. But that is not the only thing that makes the game so enjoyable. The real gem is the story that follows a young girl who is trying to reach the peak of a near impossible to climb mountain. The story deals with her mental depression and how she overcome it during the journey.
FireWatch- The story is set in the late 1960s in a forest park, and follows a fire lookout Henry and his supervisor Deliah, who only have a radio as their only contact, form a bond throughout the game depending on dialogues that the player chooses while investigating an ancient mystery of the forest.
What remains of Edith Finch- The game follows the return of Edith Finch to her family home. She is the last remaining member of the Finch Family, who are said to be cursed to die. Each room in the house tells the story of each family member’s death, and while it may sound gory or depressing in writing, the game is actually beautifully made, and it is a 5-hour ride you might want to take.
The Return of Obra Dinn- This is a one of a kind black and white game, and despite having no colour, it is one of the most highly rated games of 2018. The story follows an insurance agent who investigates the ship (named Obra Dinn), all of whose crew member have either died or disappeared.
Oxenfree- A bunch of teenagers head on to an island for a weekend party on the last ferry headed there until the next day. Curiosity leads them to explore the nearby caves that are said to emit radio frequencies that cause supernatural events.
Strike the Right Note These Holidays
So much time with your devices and the internet, might as well explore some new and upcoming artists. Online streaming platforms have made it much more convenient to dive into upcoming talents and their sounds, be it any genre. Now, we won’t just go off on a tangent and start pushing our taste in music on to you, because we know how picky people can be with their music. (although, you should go check out this artist knows as ‘Lifafa’, damn decent).
Yeah, that would be atrocious. (Maybe also Frank Ocean. Yeah. Frank Ocean).
I mean, don’t you just hate it when people can’t stop giving you suggestions after suggestions? (Oh my god have you listened to Coldplay’s newest album? Go do it now! What are you waiting for?!)
Seriously, what a pain. (Nirvana! You haven’t listened to anything as long as you haven’t listened to Nirvana brooo).
So yeah, moving on, these playlists can go hand in hand with your outdoor activities, too. You could make an upbeat workout playlist. Maybe a positive indie playlist for your jogs or cycling routines. Or just a mellow, comfy playlist to enjoy a hot cup of coffee too. After all, music is so close to us. Imagine if life came with background music…
Hostel life – not nearly eating enough food or drinking enough water… and so goes with exercise. For people into sporting endeavours such as college sports teams, it’s a must to stay in shape during the holidays. But for those who aren’t, don’t just stay inside and let the holiday feasts add up to the fat you keep complaining about! Wrapping yourself up in a blanket and staying indoors surely is tempting. But to have the breeze brush past you as you take a jog down the neighbourhood at 6 a.m. is another feeling.
Maybe it’s time to take that rusty old cycle to the shop and get peddling through cosy streets. Or call your friends out for a game like the good old days. If nothing else, a walk with your music tuned in can make for a great evening. The outdoors can serve as a great refreshment from the business of academic life. It can really breathe life back into an exhausted person. The brain has to regain its vitality over the course of vacations. But your body needs some care, too. The exhaustion after a tiring workout is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world. Not to mention, it makes for some amazing sleep later on. The exhilaration, the adrenaline, it can really make for time spent well.
Broaden Your Horizon
If you’re keener, why stop there? Plan a trip to a nearby trek. A cycling trip, perhaps. Explore places you haven’t been. Take a look around. Connect with mother nature. Outings like these can be really therapeutic, both for the mind and the soul. Give your body the nourishment it deserves by taking it places where it responds positively. Bring it closer to good vibes and away from the suffocation of daily life.
Written by Rithik Talwar and Harshaj Sood for MTTN
Edited by Rahul Alvares
Image Credits: Google image search