Congratulations! The toughest battle has been won, all the examinations are over. All the drama of two years (or more) at FIITJEE, of those countless concepts of Physics, and those reactions of Chemistry, it’s all done for now. But wait, selecting the right college is also a crucial and tough decision, and it’s time for you to decide where you want to spend the next four years of your life.
You have received your MUOET ranks (Click Here if you haven’t) , and must be going through any of the two phases:-
-> I am sure about MIT and am wondering how to go about the counselling and hostel booking.
-> I am still thinking about whether MIT is the right choice for me.
Whichever phase you are in, worry not. This article is aimed to solve all your doubts for once & all.
Here in Manipal University, you can take up a B. Tech course in any of the 3 engineering campuses – Manipal, Jaipur or Sikkim. For now, we will focus on whether or not you should keep MIT under contention.
Why choose Manipal? Besides the vast pool of opportunities and facilities for extracurricular activities ensuring all-round development, MIT boasts of an expansive campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure and breathtaking scenery. Read our article on What Is Manipal? and Why Manipal? to know the place better.
How are the Hostels?
While it may seem daunting to live apart from family, so far away from the comforts of your home, MIT ensures all requisite functionalities are met with. Find out more about the living conditions in the MIT hostels for Boys & Girls.
How are the academics? What branch should I take?
In simple words, whichever interests you. All the streams present at MIT have experienced faculty who teach students well beyond the bookish knowledge. If you aren’t sure of which branch is best for you, go through Know Your Engineering.
Here is an illustration of what branch you may be eligible for based on your MUOET rank.
Disclaimer: The following table is primarily for reference based on previous years’ cutoffs.
NOTE: ICE has been renamed to Electronics and Instrumentation, while Print and Media Tech has been renamed to Media Technology. The courses, however, remain the same with no significant change in curriculum.
P.S. For the Manipal University Jaipur Campus:
• A rank of 1000 & above should be sufficient for CSE.
• A rank of 17000 & above should be sufficient for IT & all other except CSE.
• A rank of 23000 & above should be sufficient for CCE, ECE and other branches except for CSE, IT.
And what about extracurriculars?
Technical clubs, Cultural clubs, Sports clubs, Gaming Clubs? MIT has it all. (Even a Manga club for that matter).There’s bound to be a club for any interest you may have – programming, literature, sports, dramatics, dance or anything at all. Besides this, we have a couple of really cool student projects as well.
Read: The Technical Clubs of MIT, The Non-Technical Clubs of MIT & The Student Projects in MIT
Now that you’ve received your ranks, the next step would be the counselling procedure which commences on 28th May 2018 at MIT (Manipal), MUJ (Jaipur), SMU (Sikkim) and IPE (Hyderabad).
Address of Manipal Campus: Udupi Karkala Road, Manipal, Karnataka 576104
Address of Jaipur Campus: Dehmi Kalan, Near GVK Toll Plaza, Jaipur-Ajmer Expressway, Jaipur, Rajasthan 303007
Address of Sikkim Campus: 5th Mile, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim 737102
Address of Hyderabad Centre: Institute of Public Enterprise(IPE), Osmania University Campus, Hyderabad, 500007
Note: The Hyderabad Centre is only for counselling; MAHE doesn’t offer admissions at this institute.
Documents to carry for Counseling :
- e-Hall Ticket
- 10th standard marks card for proof of date of birth
- Marks card of 10+2
- Conduct and Character certificate obtained on the School/College letterhead. No other certificate in lieu of this will be accepted
- Transfer certificate or School/College Leaving Certificate issued by the School/College. No other certificate in lieu of this will be accepted. Migration Certificate in addition to Transfer Certificate is necessary for admission to SMIT only.
- Two recent and identical passport size photographs
- Fees: As applicable for the programme
- Copy of PAN card of the parent
- Aadhar card of the candidate.
- Authorization letter if a representative is attending on behalf of the candidate. CLICK HERE for the format.
- One set of self-attested photocopies of all the above documents
What are rounds two and three of counselling?
If you do not get the stream of your preferred choice, you have the option of registering under one branch of engineering while entering yourself on the waitlist for the branch you want. Both round 2 and 3 of counselling take place online and do not require you to go to the centre. In the event of a vacancy in a particular branch, the waitlist slides up and you have a possibility of getting into your preferred branch. Do note two points:
- In the event you enrol yourself for the second round of counselling, do make sure you have taken your second choice as your core branch in the first round. If by any chance you miss out on getting your preferred branch, you would be registered as a student of this stream. The option of a branch switch comes only towards the end of the year and depends on your GPA as well as the vacancy in the stream.
- Round 3 (intra sliding) takes place during the academic session. You would be enrolled in the branch you took initially for the first month or so of college but if you get your stream, you will be shifted.
For more information about counselling schedule, payment etc. visit https://manipal.edu
For information on accommodation during counselling, visit https://www.manipal.edu/mu/campus-life/accommodation/engineering-foa-management-soc—doc-hostels–mit-campus-/instructions-for-parents/accommodation-for-parents-during-orientation.html
For information on scholarships, visit https://manipal.edu/mu/admission/indian-students/scholarship.html
That’s all the information you require post-MET. Feel free to comment below with any further queries. Here’s hoping you make the best plausible decision for your future, good luck!
— Ananya Roy, Ayush Agarwal and Nethraa Kannan for MTTN